Hi, I’m Candice, founder of Proportional Plate, where weekly meal planning couldn’t be any simpler. I have mastered how to cook, eat, work, play, and live life proportionally – starting by learning how to consciously and sustainably enjoy healthy food. At Proportional Plate, I teach how to meal plan seasonally to reduce waste, minimizing kitchen time so you can enjoy all the other important things in your life!
I provide the grocery list and recipes, you do the shopping and cooking. Four meals a week, each serves four people, two vegetarian, two not. If you’re a group of two like me, the leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
When I’m not working, I’m thinking about food – what I am going to eat, when I am going to eat it, and who I get to share my meals with. With a booming career, wanting to spend more and more time with my love, and life’s other distractions I found it harder and harder to eat healthy, balanced meals because, well, even thinking about it takes time. I have learned how to enjoy nourishing, delicious, seasonal, balanced meals without spending hours in the kitchen. Here I am to share recipes created and collected over years of feeding loved ones.
We all learned the food groups in elementary school, but much has changed since then. How do we know if we are eating a balanced meal or eating proportionally in general?
Everyone’s body and lifestyle are very different. A big part of the journey to eating proportionally is learning your body. What does it need to feel strong, powerful, energized, and balanced? What foods make you feel sluggish, moody, and unbalanced?
A few rules I follow:
- Eat mostly plants: I keep my portions of non-plant foods smaller than my plant-based foods. I try and keep it a minimum of 70% vegetarian.
- If I need to eat before a workout, I eat protein. Carbs after.
- Don’t follow everything you read on the internet. Test things out and see how they work for YOU. For example, It took me a long time to learn which adaptogens work for my body. Take the time. It is worth it.
- Learn what foods you are allergic to by doing an elimination diet.
- Stay active. Even if it’s just a 10 minute walk outside.
- Stop eating when you are full!
- Dessert is usually fresh fruit. It’s summer, people! Let’s take advantage of all this amazing summer fruit!
- I snack on raw veggies throughout the day, especially if I don’t think I have time for lunch. Keep them chopped and ready to go in the fridge, and grab a few handfuls for lunch on the go.
- Eat high-nutrient foods, grains, and seeds like sweet potatoes, wild rice, farro, and quinoa. Stay away from low-nutrient foods like white potatoes and white rice.
- Do everything in moderation. I eat meat, drink alcohol, and enjoy decadent desserts. You don’t have to cut things out of your diet because you think they are bad. Have 2 spoons of ice cream or a piece of chocolate instead of splurging on that sundae that makes you feel sluggish the next day.
Because everyone is different, take the time to learn what works for your body. Keep in mind that what works for me may not work for you. Celebrate YOU by learning more about yourself. And always keep it simple, keep it healthy, keep it delicious!
Press & Collaborations
A few of the brands that have collaborated with and/or featured Proportional Plate.
Media kit available on request. See below contact form for links to select collaborations.
Driscoll’s | Mixed Berry Lettuce Cups with Limoncello Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | February 2018
Driscoll’s | Romaine Salad with Cactus Pear, Mixed Berries, Fennel, Apple, & Basil Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy | Broccoli Rabe, Fennel and Apple Slaw | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy | Spiralized Fennel & Broccoli Rabe Gratin | Recipe Development | February 2018
Andy Boy | Slow-Cooker Cactus Pear Chicken with Broccoli Rabe | Recipe Development | January 2018
Andy Boy | Veggie Zoodle Stir Fry with Broccoli Rabe | Recipe Development | January 2018
Andy Boy | Grapefruit, Fennel & Herb Salad with Cactus Pear Vinaigrette | Recipe Development | December 2017
Andy Boy | Beet & Fennel Gazpacho with Broccoli Rabe Pesto | Recipe Development | December 2017
Epicurean | Persimmon, Goat Cheese, and Pomegranate | Recipe | December 27, 2017
Cento Fine Foods | Pasta Puttanesca | Recipe | December 7, 2017
Man Cave Craft Eats | Savory Breakfast Farro Bowl | Recipe | August 12, 2017
Moondeli | Tropical Green Smoothie Bowl | Recipe | July 12, 2017
Epicurean | Fig, Brie, & Arugula Pesto Pizza | Recipe | July 7, 2017
Probar | Brand Ambassadorship | June 6, 2017
Moondeli | Cherry Berry Smoothie Bowl | Recipe | June 6, 2017
Huffington Post Taste | Rosemary Garlic Trout | Recipe | January 15, 2017
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
1732 Aviation Blvd. #525
Redondo Beach, CA 90278