My take on a persian classic…I use less meat, farro instead of basmati rice, and my own spin on spices!
Dolmeh Felfel - Stuffed Peppers
My take on a persian classic...I use less meat, farro instead of basmati rice, and my own spin on spices!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 multi-colored bell peppers
- 1/2 lb. ground lamb beef, turkey, chicken, or soy chorizo
- 3/4 cup uncooked 10-minute farro or 1.5 cups any cooked grain
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs parsley, dill, and basil or 3 tbsp dried
- 1/4 cup matzo meal bread crumbs, or potato chip crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoons salt do not add salt if using the soy chorizo
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat to 350F.
Mix the meat, farro, onion, half the tomato sauce, garlic, jalapeño, cumin, herbs, matzo meal, salt, and pepper, and put back in the refrigerator.
Cut the tops off the bell peppers. Remove the seeds and any large white parts.
Split your filling into 4 portions. Gently stuff each bell pepper. Do not press too firmly. Let the filling be loose.
Cover with the bell pepper tops and place in an 8x8 or similar square baking dish.
Cover with the remaining tomato sauce. Cook 1 hour.