Hearty, delicious, feel-good soup. You will want to make this over and over again. My sister craves it all year round, but especially when she is sick. Recipe adapted from Williams-Sonoma Soup cookbook.
Hearty White Bean Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced into very thin half-moons
- 2 cloves garlic minced (optional)
- Red pepper flakes to taste I use about 1 tsp, sometimes more if I am in a spicy mood
- 1 can white canellini beans washed and drained
- 1, 28- oz. can San Marzano tomatoes Reserve the sauce for pizza or pasta night.
- 1-4 cps vegetable or chicken stock I use 1 but depends on how soupy you want it
- 1/2 lb. shells or orchiette pasta
- 1 bunch of chard or kale stemmed and ripped up. I prefer it with chard.
- Grated parmesan for topping/garnish if desired.
Heat the olive oil over medium to medium-high heat.
Add the onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Sautée until the onion is translucent.
Add the canellini beans. Add the tomatoes by pulverizing them in your hand before you drop them in. Carful with splatter!
Add the chicken stock and bring to boil.
Drop in the pasta. It will take longer to cook than if you were cooking them in boiling water. Usually ~20 minutes.
Turn down to a simmer or off if cooking in enameled cast iron. Add in the greens 5 minutes before serving.
Can garnish with grated parmesan.