VEGETARIAN version of dongpo pork! I know…that’s amazing! This recipe comes from the All Under Heaven cookbook by Carolyn Phillips and I adapted it to be made in the slowcooker since I don’t like keeping my stove on for over an hour if I don’t have to. Serve with sprouted brown rice!
Vegetarian Dongpo Pork
- 1.5 lbs. winter melon You can use zucchini if you can't find winter melon.
- 1/4 cup flavorless oil like canola or sunflower seed
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch scallions trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Shaoxing wine or sherry
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
Carefully cut off the rind of the wintermelon, remove seeds, and slice into rectangular pieces 1-inch thick. (I cut mine into 2-pcs because it was out of 2 slices.)
Score in a a cross-hatch pattern on one side ~1/2-inch apart, and ~1/2 inch deep. If wet, pat with a paper towel to remove any liquid before frying.
Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the winter melon hatch pattern down. Cook ~5 minutes until well browned.
Transfer to a slow cooker hatch pattern up.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bring to boil. Add to the slow cooker
Cook 1 hour on high.
Serve with sprouted brown rice. (Make this while its cooking in the slow cooker.) Can easily make in advance!